Monday 18 June 2018

Thrive, final thoughts


The problem with my reviewing the Thrive app was that I always knew it wasn't 100% going to work for me. It's all well and good me road testing an app designed to help with symptoms of anxiety and depression, but I don't have anxiety or depression. Instead, I have a cuntish monster living between my ears that I equally adore and want to rip out with a set of pliers, so it was always going to be difficult for me to give an accurate review. 

As a relaxation app, it's pretty good. Logging your emotions is a tried and tested way of keeping track of your mood, and if you've got a few minutes to spare taking some time out to do a breathing exercise or two never hurt anyone. Based on these factors, it's one of the best I've tried and would have been very useful when I was younger and desperately trying to show my doctors/nurses/therapists/counsellors etc. how quickly my moods were changing. 

Thing is, for me, that's kind of where it ended. Working 9-5, I don't really have the time to step out of my office to lie on the floor and clench my toes on command, and every 'relaxation' method the app provided needed me to give my phone my undivided attention, which is incredibly impractical. What clinched it for me as a no-go, however, was the constant reminder of things I'd previously felt shit about everytime I tried to track my mood. I completely understand the thought process, after all, it's a lot easier to select triggers from a list than type them out each day, but do I want to be reminded of how much I hated my body last week when I'm having a good day? Do I fuck. 

Overall, I won't be using the app on a daily basis, although I will be keeping it on my phone for when I want to take time out to relax. I'd maybe recommend it to someone who has only just begun to identify the triggers of their depression or anxiety, but Thrive unfortunately isn't the app for me. 

xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment